Tips on having a great webinar
First things first:
- Laptop/desktop computer: Using a laptop or desktop computer is recommended as it provides the best experience. No additional software is needed – the webinar will be accessed through your web browser (we would recommend using Chrome).
- iPad/tablet: If you are using an Apple iPad or Android tablet make sure you have the current version of the Adobe Connect app installed. This is free and available for different devices/platforms here:
- Mobile phone: Do NOT attempt to take part in the webinar on a mobile phone (no matter how big it is) – you will not be able to participate fully in the webinar on a phone.
- Your confirmation email for the webinar must be available on the device you will be using for the webinar.
- If your internet connection is via Wi-Fi, make sure you have a good strong Wi-Fi signal for your device – i.e.: try to be close to your router or wireless access point.
- You might be surprised at how many devices use the internet connection in our homes! Minimise how many other devices are connected to the internet at the time of the webinar. Perhaps ask other household members to hold back on Netflix streaming and other downloading for the duration of the webinar.
- At least 10 minutes before the webinar start time, open the confirmation email and click on the ‘Join’ button or the login URL in the email.
- Depending on what device you are using the webinar will open in your browser (for laptop & desktop computers) or it will open directly in the Adobe Connect app (for iPads and tablets). If you are prompted to ‘Open in browser’ or ‘Open in app’ please choose the option that is relevant for your device.
- Once you are logged in, you should check that your audio is working OK (follow the instructions on the screen). Remember, you do NOT need a webcam or microphone to participate in the webinar.
Trouble shooting audio issues
If you experience audio issues once the webinar starts, try the following measures:
- click on the SMT Webinar Room button at the top of the screen to test your speakers
- if you have logged in via a web browser on a laptop or desktop computer
- refresh your browser tab (click the circular arrow next to the web address at the top of the screen)
- make sure your web browser is not blocking audio for the website
– in Chrome: click the padlock in the address bar and if ‘Sound’ appears in the pop-up box then choose ‘Allow’ from the drop down menu;
– in Safari: right-click the address bar, choose Settings, then choose ‘Allow Auto Play’ from the drop down menu
- log out and log back into the webinar – close your browser tab then click the ‘Join’ button in your confirmation email to re-join the session (there may have been issues that interfered with your connection as you joined the session)
- if you have logged in via the Adobe Connect app on an iPad/tablet
- log out and log back into the webinar – close your app then click the ‘Join’ button in your confirmation email to re-join the session (there may have been issues that interfered with your connection as you joined the session)
- un-install and re-install the app – touch and hold the app and choose ‘delete’ from the options that appear, then use the links in your confirmation email to re-install the app and log back in (there may have been issues that corrupted the installation of the app)